A classic Cape Town event combining the mountain and city in a unique, tough and fun challenge.
First completed by CW Schneeberger in 1897, the challenge starts from 108 Long Street and runners ascend Devil’s Peak, Table Mountain (to Maclear’s Beacon, via Platteklip Gorge) and Lion’s Head, returning to Greenmarket Square after each peak.
The Three Peaks Challenge is traditionally run on the first Saturday of November.
- Limited to 150 people.
- Distance: ± 50 kms.
- Start: 5.00 am, from 108 Long Street, Cape Town
- Cut-off: 14 hours (7.00 pm)
- No qualification necessary, but there is a long waiting list for entries
Record: Andre Calitz: 04:50:21 (2012)
2017 THREE PEAKS CHALLENGE
Scheduled date (provisional): Saturday, 4th of November 2017
Entry fee: to be confirmed
The majority of entries will be allocated according to the waiting list*. The balance will be made up of:
- a certain (limited) amount of people who have permanent numbers
- those who are going for their permanent numbers i.e. five finishes
- those going for other milestones i.e. ten, fifteen, twenty finishes etc.
- the top 3 men and women from 2016
- a certain amount of invited people: dedicated past-helpers or those who, at the discretion of the organisers, warrant entry
* The waiting list extends, potentially, to the year 2018 and beyond. Entry criteria are currently being revised and are expected to come into effect in time for the 2018 event.
PLEASE NOTE: ENTRIES FOR THE 2017 THREE PEAKS CHALLENGE ARE, IN THEORY, ALREADY FULL. AN UPDATED WAITING LIST WILL BE PUBLISHED IN THE FIRST QUARTER OF 2017.
For anybody joining the waiting list now, any chance of an entry for 2017 will depend on the amount of people ahead of you on the waiting list being available or not, or the number of people who drop out of the event closer to the time.
Important – should you get the opportunity to take part:
Once you have completed the event – or withdraw during the event – you will need to request, in writing, to the organisers, to rejoin the waiting list at the bottom of the list. This must be done after the cut-off at 19h00 on the day of the event and not while the event is still being run.